Now Hiring: Agronomy Manager
April 07, 2021
We are currently seeking someone to join our Research and Development (R&D) team to lead the development and execution of agronomic solutions and agronomy extension to help drive pulse crop production in Saskatchewan.
Saskatchewan Pulse Growers (SPG) is a development board for the dynamic and growing pulse crop industry. Accountable to, and funded by the over 15,000 pulse growers in the province, we provide leadership and work to create opportunities for profitable growth of the Saskatchewan pulse industry by investing in research, market development, communications, and agronomy extension.
This dynamic role is an exciting opportunity for a highly motivated professional. If you have a passion for agriculture and a desire to help develop and drive agronomic strategies to increase the success of pulse crop production and adoption in Saskatchewan, we want to hear from you. The Agronomy Manager is responsible for developing and executing SPG’s agronomy program. Reporting to the Director of Research and Development, the Agronomy Manager’s primary responsibilities will include:
- Provide expertise in pulse agronomy internally and externally to develop and drive strategy as well as to influence the success of growing pulse crops in Saskatchewan.
- Working closely with SPG’s communications team to lead and advise on SPG’s extension outreach and communications activities related to agronomy by identifying key topics, providing content expertise and coordinating content development, as well as providing technical oversight to communications materials.
- Provide agronomic information to growers, agronomists, research, and agriculture industry through direct enquiries, field visits, formal and informal presentations, publications, videos, and social media content.
- Develop and maintain industry networks and collaborations to ensure Saskatchewan agronomists are knowledgeable in the area of pulse agronomy and have the necessary tools so they can provide solid production advice to pulse growers to increase yields, profitability, and successful adoption of new pulse crops.
- Develop and lead strategy for agronomic priorities including identifying key players, facilitating steering groups, chairing meetings, and implementing outcomes to ensure buy in and collaborative efforts drive solutions or targeted outcomes.
- Provide input and support to the R&D team in identifying agronomic research priorities, surveying and monitoring needs, ideas for applied demonstration projects, and other agronomy-related opportunities.
- Collaborate with and provide agronomic support to Pulse Canada and the pesticide industry on initiatives to protect market access for Canadian pulses as well as identify opportunities for product registrations through minor use pesticide program.
- Post-secondary education with an undergraduate or graduate degree in agriculture or relevant science field; a Masters in agronomy is considered as asset.
- Minimum 5 years industry experience with a focus on agronomy, crop production, and/or field research in Western Canada.
- Must be licensed or qualified to be licensed as Professional Agrologist with Saskatchewan Institute of Agrologists (SIA).
- An in-depth knowledge of crop production and the agriculture industry in Western Canada with experience and/or knowledge of pulse agronomy and the pulse industry.
- Proven ability to develop and maintain mutually beneficial relationships with growers, industry, and the research community.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (oral & written), experience in extension/information transfer would be considered an asset.
- Understanding of field research techniques and protocol design.
- Highly organized, with critical thinking and problem solving abilities; able to prioritize and manage multiple projects and programs.
- Passionate and motivated to be an expert on pulse crop agronomy in Saskatchewan.
- Team player with strong collaborative and negotiating skills.
- Professionalism and maturity essential.
SPG offers a competitive salary and benefits program, and an innovative and positive work environment.
Please apply by emailing your resume, cover letter, and references to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Only those applicants selected for interviews will be contacted.
Application deadline: April 23rd, 2021