Reduction of India’s Basic Custom Duty on Lentils
July 28, 2021
On July 26, 2021, Government of India’s Ministry of Finance published a notification amending India’s basic custom duty on lentil as follows:
- Reducing the basic customs duty on lentils originating in countries other than the USA from 10% to 0%.
- Reducing the basic customs duty on lentils originating from the USA from 30% to 20%.
- Reducing the Agriculture Infrastructure Development Cess (AIDC) on lentils imported into India from 20% to 10%.
Government of Canada's Trade Commission has confirmed India's revised total applied duty rate to be as follows:
- 11% for lentils imported from origins except the USA ((0% tariff + 10% AIDC)* 10% Social welfare cess)
- 22% for lentils imported from the USA ((10% tariff + 10% AIDC)* 10% Social welfare cess)
These amendments enter into force on July 27, 2021.