SPG is Hiring: Director, Research and Development
May 17, 2018
Saskatchewan Pulse Growers (SPG) is a national leader in funding innovative and progressive pulse crop research.
With over $10 million of annual investment into research and development, our research program is a critical component to creating opportunities for profitable growth for the over 17,000 pulse growers in Saskatchewan. We are currently seeking someone to drive our research investment strategy towards the achievement of our strategic goals in the role of:
DIRECTOR, RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT
Based in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, this important role is a rare and exciting career opportunity for a highly motivated professional. If you have strong experience in leading and inspiring a team of professionals, and in providing strategic direction for an innovative applied research program, we want to hear from you. The Director, Research and Development (R&D) is responsible for directing SPG’s strategy for research investments and overseeing SPG’s seed commercialization and agronomy programs. Reporting to the Executive Director, the Director, Research and Development's primary responsibilities will include:
- providing effective leadership to SPG R&D staff to drive the achievement of outcomes in SPG’s key result areas;
- leading the development of SPG’s R&D strategy and priorities, ensuring they reflect key priorities of growers and are aligned with SPG’s strategic plan;
- overseeing the management of SPG R&D investments and programs to ensure the most effective use of grower levy dollars;
- serving as a member of the SPG Leadership Team, providing leadership on strategy, management and policy issues for SPG;
- establishing and managing strategic relationships with collaborative research and industry partners at provincial, national and international levels; and,
- representing SPG with industry and professional groups.
- Master’s degree in agriculture or relevant science field; PhD in Natural Sciences preferred;
- minimum 5 years’ experience in a leadership role in agriculture research program management (strategy development, execution, measurement, reporting);
- demonstrated leadership skills and team management expertise; an ability to create vision, lead a team of staff and coach to high performance;
- strong understanding of the scientific research process to achieve desired applied research results;
- exceptional organizational skills with ability to effectively manage and prioritize projects; strong reporting / writing experience;
- articulate confident communicator and team player; strong collaborative /negotiating skills;
- motivation, professionalism and maturity essential; and,
- eligibility for a P. Ag. designation is a requirement for this position.
Salary commesurate with experience, qualifications and ability
Apply, with resume, to Scott Wolfe Management Inc. at email: firstname.lastname@example.org