Reasons to Consider Growing Dry Beans
- Dry beans have variable resistance to Aphanomyces root rot, depending on the variety.
- They have a low risk of disease in Saskatchewan relative to other pulse crops.
- There are dry bean varieties suitable for solid seeding production systems using conventional equipment.
- Dry beans are suitable for wide-row irrigated as well as narrow-row dryland production and straight cutting with no specialized equipment required.
- Dry beans are best suited to the southeast and east-central growing regions of Saskatchewan.