Reasons to Consider Growing Faba Beans
- Faba beans are resistant to Aphanomyces root rot.
- They are moisture-loving and very tolerant of saturated soils.
- They have exceptional nitrogen (N)-fixing abilities, obtaining up to 80% of N through fixation. This also provides a rotational N credit for next year’s crop.
- Their high protein content makes them an excellent feed and plant-based protein source.
- New low vicine/convicine faba bean varieties allow for higher-value market opportunities such as human consumption and ingredient use.
- Faba beans are best suited to the northern and eastern growing regions of Saskatchewan.